Sunday, August 4, 2013

Most memorable football match of my life : Brazil vs Italy WC1982 (Spain)

I love football so much. I enjoy playing football & I enjoy watching it as well.

One particular game stands out as the most exciting match that I will remember in my lifetime.
It happened in a World Cup 1982 Finals (in Spain) between Brazil vs Italy. Brazil needed just a draw to advance to the semi-final, while Italy needed a win.

Brazil 1982 was a very exciting team having got Zico, Socrates, Junior, Eder & Falcao in the team. But, Italy was very good defensively and very dangerous when counter attacking.

I was a 17-year old boy at the time, in a boarding school in Kuala Kangsar. RTM showed the match live on TV, and the headmaster was kind enough to give the students a hall with a TV to watch the game.

Most of the possession were by Brazil in the Italian half.

Italy won 3-2 with all 3 goals coming from Paulo Rossi. Brazil goals were scored by Junior & Falcao respectively. Italy went on to win the World Cup 1982.

I can still remember the Italian team line-up.
Zoff, Scirea, Gentile, Bergomi, Collovati, Cabrini, Antognioni, Tardelli, Conti, Grazianni & Rossi (subs Altobelli).

Observe that the first 3 names did not end with I, making remembering the team so much easy..

Brazilian team was the most exciting team in the tournament. Actually what made the game so memorable was that both teams played good and exciting football.

Congatulations to BOTH teams for giving us the excitement that I remembered until today....
I will remember this game until I die... Football won that day!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwGVki2jzI4

No comments: